Saturday, December 26, 2009

They don't make movies like this anymore. The Wild Geese Trailer (1978)

The Wild Geese is one of the better films about mercenaries in Africa. I was fortunate to have a father who introduced me to films like this when I was a little boy. As much as I liked elements of Blood Diamond, it's heavy handed moralizing and confused script left something to be desired. Also, the insipid political correctness that dominates Hollywood has rotted away the appreciation for and the will to make such tales properly. Take the 2005 joke of a film Lord of War for example. Maybe we'll get lucky and the 2006 book, The Wonga Coup, will get produced into a movie. I know that is a dangerous wish in this day and age. (This randomly has me thinking of the "winner's curse" lesson from my business school game theory class, despite the lack of an auction process) The cinematic version of Frederick Forsyth's great novel, The Dogs of War, missed the mark by several miles despite decent performances by Christopher Walken and a very young Tom Berringer. As much as I enjoyed the book, I have been unable to find and watch the cinematic version of Wilbur Smith's Dark of the Sun, much to my eternal dismay. Thus, I conclude the Wild Geese reigns supreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment